Physics is taught at the University of Greifswald since its founding in 1456th In 1891 physicists received their first own institute building. Since 2007 the Institute has a modern new building on the science campus in Greifswald. This building obtained the architect price of Mecklenburg - Western Pomerania. The highlight of this building is its freely suspended auditorium.
As a scientific institution, the Institute of Physics is committed to a vast field of physics that enables novel combinations of knowledge. The ten groups cover a broad scientific spectrum, while strategic initiatives, key projects and research alliances also promote the multidisciplinary collaboration.